Features at a Glance
Fred’s Shed—DIY Seminars & Interactive Learning Center
Watch, learn and do! If you’re a do-it-yourselfer or boat owner interested in learning new techniques for taking care of your boat or motor, head to Fred’s Shed for practical, professional advice. Free daily sessions cover a variety of topics:
- Watch certified marine technician and expert wrench slinger “Fred” demo tools and techniques on actual boat and motor cutaways.
- Learn how to maintain, repair or upgrade your boat or motor.
- Take part in discussions, ask questions and participate in hands-on-clinics.
Together, “The Boating Guy” and certified marine service technician “Fred, The Outboard Doctor,” bring more than 50 years of boating and wrench-slinging experience to the Shed.
Check back for a complete list of seminars.
On-the-water learning events—only at the boat show!
Nothing beats hands-on experience when it comes to improving your boating skills and learning new ones. This year’s show features a full schedule of one-hour and three-hour hands-on, on-the-water workshops designed to add more fun and excitement to your boat show experience…and take your boating skills up a notch. There’s something for everyone—from absolute beginners to seasoned skippers!
Learn from experts: All sessions are taught by USCG licensed captains who are also certified professional instructors.
One-Hour Powerboating Workshops
Learn through hands-on exercises conducted underway. Choose from:
- Basic Close Quarters Powerboat Handling – Essential boat handling skills for maneuvering in tight spaces and docking situations. For those new to boating or boaters who would like a “refresher”
- Advanced Close Quarters Powerboat Handling - managing wind and current, docking bow and stern first in a slip, and more. For boaters with some experience or those who’ve completed the “Basic Close Quarters Powerboat Handling” clinic and want to learn some additional skills
- Open Water Boat Handling & Seamanship – handling the boat away from the docks including using trim tabs and or engine trim to balance the boat properly, managing waves and wakes, rules of the road for meeting, crossing and overtaking, and more. For new boaters and those who would like a skills refresher with a professional captain
- Anchoring and Rafting Up with Other Vessels – How to anchor securely including techniques for managing a dragging anchor, freeing a fouled anchor and rafting up safely with other vessels. For all experience levels.
Advance registration highly recommended. Registration fee: $15 advance online registration or $25 at the show.
Check back later for registration details.
Three-Hour Powerboating Workshops
Created specifically for and presented only at the show, these three-hour, underway sessions feature additional skills training and more practice time at the helm. Choose from:
- Powerboating Made Easy— Includes docking and maneuvering skills, managing the boat in open water, essential rules of the road, anchoring and fundamental chart navigation techniques, and more. For those new to boating or those needing a “refresher”
- Advanced Docking & Precision Boat Control in Tight Spaces—Features docking techniques in challenging conditions, managing wind and current confidently, using spring lines for docking maneuvers and more. For experienced boaters or those looking to move up in vessel size or class
Advanced registration highly recommended. Registration fee: $100 advance online registration or $125 at the show Participants who register in advance online will receive FREE boat show admission for the day.
Check back later for registration details
Progressive® Insurance Boat School
An educated boater is a safe boater
Boost your boating IQ! Learn the fundamentals of boating safety and have fun. Top-notch mariners from the Annapolis School of Seamanship will be on deck to lead an array of interactive “courses” including general boating safety seminars, proper docking procedures, a boating simulator experience, and tips and tricks to help ensure your safety on the water. It’s enjoyable and educational for the whole family!
- Gateway to Boating Get an overview of the styles and types of boats and how they fit the boating lifestyle you choose.
- Watersports Safety Seminar Gain the know-how you need to keep everyone on your boat —and on the water—safe, and ensure every outing is fun and enjoyable.
- iNavigation: Learn how to use the resources available to modern boaters—from traditional compass and paper charts, to onboard electronics, to tablets such as the Apple iPad® to stay safe and have fun on the water.
- Boat Systems: Learn how to manage your boats systems from stem to stern.
- Docking & Line Handling: Does docking cause you stress? Let us “show you the ropes” with tricks, and techniques that can make docking easy.
- 10 Steps to Becoming a Good Gilligan: Even on a three-hour tour, a good first mate is key to a great day on the water. This sessions covers the skills you need as a first mate.
Stop by the Progressive® Insurance Welcome Center or Progressive Insurance Boat School for more information, and a complete schedule.
Try It Cove - Free Paddle Sports Demos
New Yacht Club Lounge—Located on the water
Catch up with your friends, enjoy live music, island drink specials and free WiFi, all while enjoying a panoramic view of our expanded in-water section of the show. This year’s in-water display features a wide selection of yachts, sport fishing and pleasure boats ranging in size from 20-80 feet for every budget. Relax with your favorite beverage in the air conditioning or catch a breath of fresh air, at the new Yacht Club Lounge.